[Wikipedia-l] a way to contact IP users

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 18:17:33 UTC 2002

Larry Sanger wrote:

 >Ed,
 >
 >I know you mean very well, and that you're trying to help solve an
 >important problem, but I'm generally opposed to giving admins any special
 >powers that they do not already have have.  Maybe give everyone this
 >power?
 >
 >Isn't there another way to achieve what you are trying to achieve?
 >
 >Larry
 >
 >On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

I agree with Larry on this. All logged-in users (or maybe even all
users) should have the power to send a message to unregistered IPs:
there is no need for a similar power to talk to logged-in users, as the
talk page will already work for them.

Perhaps this could be done by just editing the [[User:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]]
page for the appropriate IP.

Neil

 >>How about giving admins the ability to throw up a "Please read this"
message.

 >>Something like this:
 >>* User submits an edit
 >>* Wikipedia accepts the edit, and...
 >>* Sends user to a "You have an urgent administrative message" page.
 >>
 >>User can then:
 >>* Click on the "Read message" button, or
 >>* Just ignore it
 >>
 >>We can think of variations, like, send the user directly to the
message page, rather than the "you have a message waiting". Another, for
egregious cases, would send the user to the "message waiting" or 'please
acknowledge this' page after EVERY edit, until the click an OKAY button.