[Intlwiki-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Non-English Wikipedias

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 09:14:15 UTC 2002

--- Brion VIBBER <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
> > I think using the word "international wikipedias"
> is
> > not a good idea, because
> > 1) it stress out the "national" part of the wiki,
> > which is wrong since our wikis are defined by
> langage
> > rather than by nationalities
>
> Hence "*inter*national wikipedia", not "a collection
> of national
> wikipedias".

I hear inter*national* in the word. Maybe is that a
cultural biais.

> Ideas:
> 1) Like linking image description pages: "see
> [[:fr:Page français|some
> french page]]", "vois [[:en:English page|une page
> anglaise]]"

Yes.
Or [[fr:une page française]] would do for the magic
link, and [fr:une page francaise|une page française]
would do for a link in the text. That way, it could be
*very quick to write
*more similar to regular links
*could make a distinction between
- internal links (see also) in blue
- external links in green
- int-ext links in....well...grey

Ultimately, it should be clear when a link is really
making people quit wikipedia, or just jump in another
chapter of the book.

> 2) I notice that DeWikiPedia is available as an
> InterWiki suffix to the
> German wikipedia in the UseMod-style InterWiki
> InterMap. We could add
> the rest to this list, and start using it, and you
> could link eg
> [[FrWikiPedia:Page Français|a french page]]

Amha, the prefix is too long :-)

> 3) The 'magic' links probably shouldn't be magic on
> talk pages, where
> you're more likely to be explicitly referencing a
> page under discussion.

lol, I agree.