[Wikipedia-l] Non-English Wikipedias

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sat Nov 2 16:32:53 UTC 2002

On 11/2/02 9:34 AM, "Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz" <kpj at gower.pl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Cunctator moved 'Wikipedia:Non-English Wikipedias' to 'Wikipedia:Multilingual
> coordination'.

Actually, I moved 'Wikipedia:International Wikipedia' to
'Wikipedia:Multilingual coordination'.

I renamed the "Non-English Wikipedias" link on the Main Page (which pointed
to Wikipedia:International Wikipedia through a redirect) to "Coordination
between languages".

> One might think that there are no Wikipedias in other languages anymore.

I hope not. This is to put every language on a level playing field.

> Are we destinied to be just a division of Wikipedia for Multilingual
> coordination ?
>
> It seems to be rather unfair to people involved in Wikipedias in other
> languages.
>
> 1. some contributors of Wikipedias in other languages have put a lot of
>  effort and passion into creating "their" Wikipedias. They may or may not
>  care much about the English WP
> 2. Non-English Wikipedias have only recently been given more attention by
>  Wikipedia community at large which is dominated by English speaking
>  crowd
> 3. we always wanted help and coordination but we felt put aside a little

The phrase "Multilingual coordination" means "coordination between
languages", exactly what you say people want.

> I suppose there is a general consensus in non-English Wikipedias about the
> current policies and plans towards ONE Wikipedia in different languages but
> I don't think we can agree to "the smaller have to subdue" rule.

I certainly was not trying to imply that. I don't think the smaller have to
subdue.

Are you upset because I made the change, and not someone else?