[WikiEN-l] strange problem. is it only me? (for a developer)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 17 20:52:26 UTC 2003

On lun, 2003-02-17 at 06:59, daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> Yesterday I looked for an empty link to fill in and came up with
> [[Madura]], which appeared in [[Islands of Indonesia]]. I wrote a
> short article, which appears,  but today, looking for another island
> to write about, I saw that the Madura link on the [[Islands of
> Indonesia]] page still appears empty. I clicked on it and came to the
> editing box, with my text there, instead of the page itself. Is this
> some kind of bug)?

Yes, known buglet. The page itself hasn't been edited, so it reports
itself as unchanged when your browser asks if it needs to fetch a new
copy or if it can use a cached copy.

Hold down control and hit refresh, this should force a reload.

This should only strike users of Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher. Of
course, that's the vast majority of our users -- which is why caching
was enabled for them to reduce stress on the server from unintended
reloads. ;)

(A better system for invalidating caches by adding a 'last-touched'
timestamp field to the database has been proposed.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)