[WikiEN-l] Using information from the CDC home page

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Feb 17 11:24:30 UTC 2003

Zoe wrote:
> Does this mean we can use the information at that website?

Almost everything produced by the United States government is not
subject to copyright.  This means that almost everything on U.S.
government websites is not subject to copyright, but there are
important exceptions.

For example, on the old whitehouse.gov website they had some nice
biographies of all the Presidents.... except they didn't produce them,
they were using them by permission from a copyright book.  We would
not be able to use those.

In general, if the publication is a publication *of the government*,
then it's legal to use it, unless it says otherwise.

--Jimbo