[WikiEN-l] trying hard to do a list right

Jan Hidders jan.hidders at ua.ac.be
Sat Feb 15 08:51:37 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:00:35PM -0500, Tom Parmenter wrote:

> Tokerboy and I are having a conversation about a list of songwriters.
>
> He started with [[List of songwriters/temp]].  I made some comments on
> the talk page and then started [[List of songwriters/temp2]] with
> further talk page discussion.  I followed the idea we had discussed
> here of using other people's lists as the basis of a Wikipedia list.
>
> I'm not really wild about either the first idea, list the top 12 in
> each genre, nor the second idea, use the lists from Songwriter Halls
> of Fame, because they are so long.
>
> Even if you aren't interested in songwriters, the issue is a recurring
> one and hard to solve, so maybe you'd like to chime in.

Maybe I am missing something but the solution seems rather obvious. If
someone wants a list of all songwriters then let them make it under the
title "list of all songwriters" and sort them alphabetically. If someone
wants to make a list sorted by genre then you put that under the title "list
of all songwriters by genre". If you want only the most popular 12 you put
it under something like "list of 12 most popular songwriter per genre". Et
cetera.

-- Jan Hidders