[WikiEN-l] The Lir situation

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sun Feb 9 00:08:41 UTC 2003

On 2/8/03 6:51 PM, "Jonathan Walther" <krooger at debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 06:49:38PM -0500, Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:
>> That's not what it means. It just means that we (sysops) need to separate
>> our editing
>> from our adminning/sysop work. If I think an article needs protection from
>> vandals, _I
>> stop editing it myself_. This is to avoid the temptation to use sysop
>> powers unfairly in
>> an edit war.
>>
>> It doesn't mean I can't edit pages, or that you wouldn't be able to.
>
> In practice, it amounts to that. I have seen Eric and Ortolan and some
> others attack Ed Poor when he appropriately protected a page to stop an edit
> war, when he had recently been involved in editing that page himself.
>
> I believe that attack on Ed Poor was unjustified, and I don't want to
> see a repeat of such attacks made on Zoe.

It's only your judgment that Poor's action was appropriate.

One of the most effective ways of avoiding seeing things you don't like is
to close your eyes.

None of us here are saints, and we all err. These errors should be pointed
out and our actions challenged--within the bounds of, shall we say, ahimsa.
Those with power and authority have the capacity to make more harmful
errors. Thus challenges to their action should be more vociferous.

But what's going on is the inevitable problem with the establishment of an
arbitrary hierarchy of power.

-tc