[WikiEN-l] Clutch/Jonathan and the mystery of NPOV

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Sat Feb 1 00:12:22 UTC 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 12:51:10AM +0100, Erik Moeller wrote:
>http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Richard_Wagner&diff=0&oldid=634297
>
>I believe this edit speaks for itself. Notice that this edit was labeled as
>"restoring an URL and working toward a compromise on POV issues". A
>"compromise" (after his previous drastic POVification of the article) which includes
>the unexplained removal of plenty of significant information and obviously
>POV statements such as:
>
>"Labelling Wagner as an anti-Semite is misleading; he never supported
>violence against Jews, nor did he hold them to be at fault for the cultural divide
>that he perceived existed between German Jews of his time, and mainstream
>German culture."

Yes. I encourage everyone to take a look at my edits.  People with good
historical backgrounds, who actually do the related research, will find
my edits to be truthful and balanced.  What is unbalanced are the edits
that use phrases like "virulent anti-Semite".

Some of the things I took out were fabricated entirely, such as Erik's
claim that Wagner "forced" a colleague to change his religion; that claim
is a far cry from the truth that he asked a colleague to convert, colleague
refused, and they continued as friends to the end of their lives.

What I am doing is not whitewashing, which involves plastering over and hiding
someones faults.  I am merely picking up and removing the POV trash that some
have been throwing around, but which hasn't been sticking as much as they
would like.

NPOV, in a collegial spirit of mutual respect is my main goal.  I don't
appreciate attacks like Erik's.  If he disagrees with my edits, he is,
and always has been, welcome to make his own edits.  I can back my edits
up with relevant research.  I really wish that a particularly vocal few
would do the same for their edits.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2