[WikiEN-l] Larry's text is being unfairly criticised

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 19 19:19:45 UTC 2003

Rotem Dan wrote:

>19.  An educational textbook. Though Wikipedia
>attempts to explain many non-trivial scientific and
>philosophical topics, articles should not be written
>merely with the intention of teaching the subject,
>this is what book references are for.
>

>I plan to add more refinements to the policies and
>rules in the next weeks.

The subtleties which Rotem seeks to apply appear to be beyond my grasp.
 Most of us would probably not make a distinction between an educational
and an encyclopedic article.  IMHO the two would have such a
considerable overlap to the point where a distinction verges on the
meaningless.

I believe that I echo the thoughts of several other Wikipedians across
the POV spectrum when I say that Rotem's time would be better spent
working on the [[knowledge]] article that he criticizes and not on
endless debates on the minutiae of Wikipedia theory.

Ec