[WikiEN-l] Re: JoanB is DW

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Apr 18 12:51:26 UTC 2003

koyaanis qatsi wrote:
> Wow.  This is very nearly the last thing I'd want to
> happen to wikipedia.  In fact, I'd rather see Jimbo
> decide to close the site altogether.

Don't worry, it won't happen.  The last thing I need is to be calling
up every crank in the world to see if they are real people.

I think a useful analogy can be made to gun control.  Adding barriers
to entry will discourage most normal people, but will only discourage
some of the cranks, who tend to be highly motivated.  So rather than
regulations actually helping the problem, they just make it worse.

--Jimbo