[WikiEN-l] User blocked

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Apr 15 10:13:00 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Well, 2 out of 2 people commenting so far think I'm wrong, so
>effectively immediately I'm banning myself from Wikipedia (I'll still
>participate on this mailing list, though).

As always, Ed sets an example for us all.

For the record, I thought Ed's actions were excessive in this case,
but minor, but I also think that Ed has built up a level of trust
based on just exactly this: his willingness to self-examination, his
willingness to step away and take a break, his willingness to change
his mind and say he was wrong.

>From time to time all of us will make decisions that cross what other
people see as "the line".  One possible reaction to criticism is to
dig in our heels, concoct justifications, etc.  Another possible
reaction is to say: "Hey, o.k., I'm listening.  And I'm taking a break
here."

--Jimbo