[WikiEN-l] Should we do things Fred and Cunctator's way, or act like adults?

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Apr 11 15:29:11 UTC 2003

Robert,

Either develop a "thicker skin" or just pay no attention to Cunc's remarks at all.

Meanwhile, while describing the monotheistic religions' approach to idol worship, etc., I hope you have been reading my comments here on the mailing list, as well as at [[talk:idolatry]].

Apparently some proponents of polytheism feel their POV has been mischaracterized. So you and they may be arguing at cross purposes.

One of the benefits of a truly neutral religious article is (or should be!) that all parties will agree that the article describes the religion in question, accurately.

Perhaps we need to focus more on:
* what various polytheists believe
* whether anyone ever worshipped idols (or still does)
* what the ancient Bible verses meant: "have no other gods", "do not make or worship idols"

Just to change the subject slightly, I wonder whether modern Krishna Consciousness devotees would concede that they "worship idols"? I was invited to view the inner recesses of a Hare Krishna temple and shown what one young, enthusiastic devotee called "dolls" -- full-size mannequins which resembled pictures of various Hindu deities. The devotee's task was to wash and dress these "dolls", as he called them.

And one more possible red herring. Members of the Unification Church bow down in front of a photograph of the "True Parents" (as we call Rev. & Mrs. Moon) in a weekly and monthly Pledge Service. Are we worshipping idols? (Don't worry: I won't fight with you on this -- ask Vicki, I'm very nice when it comes to interacting online with others who don't share my faith!)

Ed Poor