[WikiEN-l] Apology to Brion (was Re: Michael's threats)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 07:44:57 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 08:39 pm, wikien-l-request at wikipedia.org wrote:
> > You misunderstood Brion. He was referring to Michael's threats, not to
> > determining the IP address (which he posted).
>
> Quite right. I'm not sure how mav made that interpretation, particularly
> as I followed the statement WITH THE IP ADDRESS!
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Whops! I´m very sorry about that Brion (like I said I´m pretty darn dense
sometimes, er, often). I get posts in plain text format or I read the
archives (which are also plain text) so at the end of many people´s emails
there is a whole bunch of unreadable HTML insanity. So to cope I mentally
block this out this. So when I saw:

|The post:
|http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=3DTalk:Crass&diff=3D793666&oldi=
|d=3D793523
|
|IP address from logs:
|64.12.96.205 - - [01/Apr/2003:01:05:27 +0000]
|"POST /w/wiki.phtml?title=3DTalk:Crass&action=3Dsubmit HTTP/1.1" 302 5
|"http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=3DTalk:Crass&action=3Dedit"
|"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; AOL 7.0; Windows NT 5.0)"

|(Timestamps in logs are in UTC.)
|
|The e-mail address set in the account is Weezer76 at aol.com (though it
|should be pointed out we make no attempt to verify e-mail addresses, and
|cannot guarantee that this is the actual address of the person or even
|if it is a valid address; AOL should be able to look into it, I imagine
|their web proxies keep logs which can be traced to particular users.)

|-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

|--=-jKqeSzfRNXI6rxo1ZJ9/

|--=-jKqeSzfRNXI6rxo1ZJ9/--

as a block of text I blocked that out thinking it was part of the normal HTML
mess that follows most emails.

I also took this sentence:

|That's certainly highly inappropriate on Wikipedia

as an /answer/ to my question ´´Could one of the developers get this creep's
IP so that Zoe can call the cops?´´

Which I interpreted as; You did not think it was appropriate to give out that
information.

Please forgive my idiocy and rudeness for not reading your post carefully
before responding (I did this while at work and with a deadline hanging over
my head so that combinded with the nature of the post prompted me to send a
quick reply - that still isn´t an excuse though).

Again, I´m sorry. :-)

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma
The usual at [[March 26]]