[Wikipedia-l] terminology

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Nov 29 20:33:29 UTC 2002

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>Do these red links have a name?

I call them "nonexistent links", which is patently false,
or sometimes ""?" links" to be nostalgic.
(Then "stub links" are also ""!" links".)

>BTW, could this wiki idea spread to science, so that a paper would
>cite other papers that might come into existence?  :-)

This is already done.  The paper is cited as "to appear".
You're only supposed to do this when you expect the paper to appear soon,
but sometimes it never does, and several decades later,
people reading your paper will waste days trying to track it down.

-- Toby