[Wikipedia-l] Re: "Mark all edits minor by default"

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 21:41:38 UTC 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 06:52 am, The Cunctator wrote:
> Please take that out.
>
> Marking edits minor by default is not the right behavior. We want to see
> clueless newbie edits by default, and for those of us who hide minor edits
> (the only way minor edits are used right now) that would make that not
> possible.

I agree - even though the majority of my edits are minor to moderate I know
the opposite is true for many other people. It would be nice, however, to
have this as a user-selectable option that is off by default (hence, the
default would require the user to explicitly mark an edit as minor).

BTW, why do anonymous IPs have the ability to mark edits as minor? That wasn't
the case for Phase II. The way it is now "hide minor edits" is useless
because most vandals are anonymous and oftentimes mark their vandalisms as
"minor". I therefore don't use the hide minor edits feature.

> What I've seen work is to make summaries mandatory for non-minor edits.

Sound like an interesting idea.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)