[Wikipedia-l] anglicization is stupid

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 21 06:00:11 UTC 2002

--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
>
> >--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> The Heinlein novel has been published in French as
> "En terre étrangère",
> but that's wimpy, does not seem to do it justice,
> and could be
> translated back as "In a Foreign Land".  It's
> certainly different from
> "En pays étrange" :-)   I could have fantastic
> mischief with your example.

Yup. En terre étrangère, bah.
I don't know Eclecticology, if you read some of
Heinlein french translated books. He is the perfect
example of an author who should be read only in
english (or maybe hebrew ?). None of the translations
are at the level of the original books. Which is
probably why he is very little known in France.

> Here in English Canada we have a very popular comedy
> group, "The Royal
> Canadian Air Farce" that at times do skits based on
> mistranslations.
>  Some of these have been hilarious and have depended
> on really twisted
> translations of speeches by politicians.  If I can
> find an audio clip,
> I'd be glad to pass it on.
>
> Eclecticology

I would appreciate; Thanks ;-)