[Wikipedia-l] vandalism spree

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Tue Nov 19 18:05:37 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>No, seriously,

Oh, how boring ;-)

> how about not blocking?

IMHO "don't block at all" won't work, but neither does "block everything
at once", as we've seen.

>If you try to think of solutions to our problems that don't involve
>blocking, the solutions are generally much cleaner.
>
>For example,
>1. more powerful ways of searching and sorting edits,

We now have the "top" mark at user contributions, so we can see which
edits haven't been reverted yet. What else could we use? I already
suggested marking IP contributions on Recent Changes in red (or bold
or...) for logged-in users, but was turned down as being "unfair" to the
good contributors, which *are* the majority.

>2. more powerful ways of rolling back edits

How about a link on the user contributions, for sysops only probably, to
undo all "top" contributions of this user?

>3. Bayesian filtering of contributions

That would be similar to the automatic "quality rating" I suggested earlier.
Characteristics could include:
* removal of large parts of the text
* insertion of repetetetetitive sequences
* insertion of certain keywords ("f**k")
* insertion of off-site links (?)
Suspicious edits could be highlighted on the Recent Changes page.

Magnus