[Wikipedia-l] anglicization is stupid

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Mon Nov 18 08:45:00 UTC 2002

Bridget [name omitted for privacy reasons] wrote:

> we should refer to spacecraft from the USSR according to their Russian
> name-not according to the English name.

But the English wikipedia has agreed on using English names. For the
title of the article, that is. The "native" name can be prominently
mentioned in the opening paragraph.

I agree that it sometimes feels funny when I follow a link to some place
I never heard of before, and it turns out to be a major city or region
here in Germany ;-) but it seems to be the best solution. And, we can
always redirect the native name to the English one.

Magnus