[Wikipedia-l] Decision-making process

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Nov 15 18:27:25 UTC 2002

Magnus Manske wrote:

>Well, the obvious [decision-making process]
>would be "proposal - discussion -  decision", with decision by voting.
>Proposals are accepted until one week after the "call for proposals",
>discussion ends if the number of votes has reached a certain limit (say,
>10 or 20), or one week after all proposals have been submitted.

I don't see what's so "obvious" about this: one week, 10 or 20?
How about allowing amendments?  Shall we use Robert's Rules of Order?

>But, that would be too simple, and would prevent discussing every topic
>to a point where nothing will be done at all. It would also prevent The
>Honored Cunctator from stopping any development by being the first,
>last, and only unconvinced resistance fighter ;-)

If we require only consenus, the a sole resister can't stop us.
While Cunc is surely unique in the number of his dissents,
he's usually not close to the only dissenter in any given case
(counting only those cases where we never reach a consensus).

-- Toby