[Wikipedia-l] Call for a general disclaimer linked from every page

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Fri Nov 15 15:28:10 UTC 2002

Hi Toby, hi list!

> IANAL, but I think that we may be on a much safer legal footing
> if we include such a disclaimer that our info shouldn't be trusted
> for air traffic control and things of that nature.
> There must be a reason that everybody else has one, right?

That's the reason why the [[meme]] concept works ... :-)

Many German Websites have a disclaimer, that they are not responsible
for the content of sites that are linked from their site. It's quite
wordy, a certain court decision is mentioned, etc. ...
They are absolutely useless. Even worse, they could be held against the
site owner as a sign that he knew a linked site contained illegal
content.

But everybody thinks: The others have a disclaimer, so I need one, too.

If US-laws enforce us to use a disclaimer, okay. But, hmm, anybody know
what's "vorauseilender Gehorsam" is in English? I mean: We shouldn't, if
we don't have to. :-)

> Does Jimbo have any lawyers to advise us on the wording?

I guess the first employed person of the foundation will (or has to) be
a lawyer (with special experience in copyrights and responsibilities of
site owners/providers). :-(

Kurt