[Wikipedia-l] Call for a general disclaimer linked from every page

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Nov 15 07:48:34 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> We don't need some warning on the Main Page for "protecting" sensitive eyes -
> that is just plain silly. As somebody already mentioned the vast majority of
> hits we get are through external search engines that bring viewers to
> individual articles. Also if the viewer has parental controls on while using
> the external search engine then they won't land on any "objectionable"
> Wikipedia articles.
>
> How about this; Have a link in the footer area of each page that simply says
> "Disclaimer and Copyright Notice"
>
> Then we could have a general disclaimer (as most large websites do) that can
> say several things;
>
> 1) We could warn people not to depend on Wikipedia for data that will be used
> to design intergalatic probes, find cures for cancer or operate on kittens
> because we can't make any promises as to the accuracy of the information we
> present in spite of the fact that most of us try our best to write excellent
> and correct material (also a disclaimer of legal liability would be nice).
> 2) We could also state that part of our mission is to describe works of art in
> a comprehensive mannor so we will be giving away plots and the endings of
> stories.
> 3) In addition we would also state that our intention to to cover all human
> knowledge of encyclopedic value and this includes material that some people
> may find to be objectionable or even offensive for various reasons.
>
> No need for meta-tag based filters and no need for a message on the main page
> that hardly anybody who might need it would ever see.

I think we ought to have a disclaimer to cover our tails... at least
then we could say that we were doing SOMETHING!

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

To err is human... to really foul things up add kitten and stir.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: