[Wikipedia-l] Call for a general disclaimer linked from every page

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 07:32:09 UTC 2002

We don't need some warning on the Main Page for "protecting" sensitive eyes -
that is just plain silly. As somebody already mentioned the vast majority of
hits we get are through external search engines that bring viewers to
individual articles. Also if the viewer has parental controls on while using
the external search engine then they won't land on any "objectionable"
Wikipedia articles.

How about this; Have a link in the footer area of each page that simply says
"Disclaimer and Copyright Notice"

Then we could have a general disclaimer (as most large websites do) that can
say several things;

1) We could warn people not to depend on Wikipedia for data that will be used
to design intergalatic probes, find cures for cancer or operate on kittens
because we can't make any promises as to the accuracy of the information we
present in spite of the fact that most of us try our best to write excellent
and correct material (also a disclaimer of legal liability would be nice).
2) We could also state that part of our mission is to describe works of art in
a comprehensive mannor so we will be giving away plots and the endings of
stories.
3) In addition we would also state that our intention to to cover all human
knowledge of encyclopedic value and this includes material that some people
may find to be objectionable or even offensive for various reasons.

No need for meta-tag based filters and no need for a message on the main page
that hardly anybody who might need it would ever see.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)