[Wikipedia-l] Censorship and bowdlerization

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Wed Nov 13 23:51:52 UTC 2002

Zoe wrote:

> If we don't do this, we're going to find that Wikipedia is being filtered out by dumb parental control software and the protective filters in place with such search engines as Google.  Then of what use will it be to anyone?
> Zoe

It will be useful to anyone who does not install dumb parental
control software or rely on censoring search engines.

Please consider this:

If a minor has not established sufficient trust/respect
with his or her guardian to be trusted online without censorship or
spy software enabled ..... then perhaps it would be better (for
the project and possibly for the child) if they were not participating
at Wikipedia?

This might discreetly eliminate a lot of problem children
which we could do without .... unless part of our purpose is to
help civilize or educate problem children?

That pesky target audience or customer profile thingy again.

Regards,
Mike Irwin