[Wikipedia-l] Censorship and bowdlerization

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 20:37:41 UTC 2002

If we don't do this, we're going to find that Wikipedia is being filtered out by dumb parental control software and the protective filters in place with such search engines as Google.  Then of what use will it be to anyone?
Zoe
 Steve Callaway <sjc at easynet.co.uk> wrote:This is a very dangerous area indeed and a seriously slippery slope. I can
see the arguments for it but the obverse side of this coin is that if it's
possible to introduce sexual censorship in this way it is entirely
conceivable that political censorship could be attained by a similar
mechanism. This is NOT a genie to be let out of the bottle. There is enough
political and social hypocrisy and outright political propaganda in the
corpus of Wikipedia already without introducing convenient new mechanisms
for the thought & ideas police.

rgds

Steve Callaway