[Wikipedia-l] Re: windshield police (Was: Wikipedia moderators and moral authority)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 12 20:49:38 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>On Monday 11 November 2002 04:43 pm, TMC wrote:
>
>>If it makes you feel any better, the gang considers
>>the intact windshields to be the "means of production"
>>through which broken windshields are produced.
>>Because the social class of "car owners" cannot use
>>their ownership of these means of production to exert
>>control over the gang, it is necessary for the gang to
>>take "possession" of the windshields while they put
>>they to the use of being smashed.
>>
>That's a bunch of relativistic morality crap. If somebody goes to the effort
>of building something or working their ass-off to pay for something it is
>absolutely wrong for somebody else to destroy that. Basic morality 101.

I think that his argument is related to the economic argument that
windshield breakers are creating employment for the windshield repair
industry.  One well-known enterprise with Italian roots in the insurance
industry modified this argument to convince businesses to buy their
protection.

Eclecticology