[Wikipedia-l] We aleady have a POV wiki, so lets use it.

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 21:37:54 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 10:03 am, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> I'm prepared to tolerate the "anti-" pages.  If people want to paint
> targets on their foreheads for everybody else to shoot at, I don't think
> that the rest of us need to jump in to prevent their suicide.  People
> who choose to put their names on these lists need to know that being
> there may say something to the rest of us about their credibility.
>  There can even be several pages that seem to say the same thing
> (anti-american/anti-yankee or anti-gay/anti-queer/anti-pervert) with
> each expressing a different perspective on the subject.
>
> If some of the sillier debates can be marginalized to these personal
> anti-pages, the more serious contributors are likely to ignore them
> completely, no matter how offensive they get.  Individual user pages
> don't quite do the job for the people on these pages; they often need to
> feel that they are a part of a group, even if it is a group of one.
>
> Eclecticology

But the wikipedia:namespace is not an appropriate forum for this. POV views
held by contributors are only supposed to be on user pages and in the meta.
Let's keep focus here people - we needn't have this material in the NPOV
encyclopedia area. The Wikipedia namespace is supposed to be about the
project, not about the views of the users.

Having these anti pages on the regular Wikipedians pages paints a very skewed
and wrong image about our project. The new user will see different factions
of other users and then will be presented with a choice; which faction should
I join? This can only work against NPOV and against community building
(because it in fact creates sub-communities).

We already have a POV wiki and user pages, so lets use them for this placing
POV material and not the general wikipedia:namespace.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)