[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #839 - 15 msgs

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Mon Nov 11 13:45:17 UTC 2002

elian wrote:

>>But then why are users being prevented from asserting their opposition
>>to the US in its current state as a polluting warmonger ruled by an
>>oil baron despot?
>>

>Because of the "Anti". Enlisting as a queer user says nothing about your
>attitude about non-queer people. Positive categories are fine (ecologists,
>human right or peace activists, atheist, christian or muslim), negative
>categories are evil: "anti-christian", "antisemite", because they don't say
>only something about the self-categorized person but also insult other
>people.

That's exactly why I had the "Anti-American users" page deleted (which
Lir instantly identified as "vandalism"). People who are "anti" often
don't know a better alternative, or else they could say they're
"pro"-something ;-)
Besides, having an anti-America page on an American server does
discredit itself somewhat...

Magnus