[Wikipedia-l] RE: performance tweak

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Wed Nov 6 11:24:28 UTC 2002

Erik Zachte wrote:

>Follow up suggestion: make Wikipedia block all MS Explorer users. It
>will probably reduce traffic by 90%.

I'd vote for that. We'd be blocking a lot of junk edits :-)

> Get real. This is the world we live
>in: web designers will have to adjust to their user base not vice versa.

Nope. The W3C sets standards and websites and browsers follow them.

If the people who program web browsers *don't* follow them, then it's
unfortunate that the end-user gets caught in the crossfire. But there
are now plenty of free, (fairly) compliant browsers out there, such as
Mozilla: not that big a download on a modem & easy to install. Ditch IE
and be free :-)

Most browsers open a link in a new window with a *modifier key*+click --
even IE -- though I would say that tabbed browsing is a necessity for
RecentChanges weeding.