[Wikipedia-l] Feature Proposal: Certification

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Fri Nov 1 16:45:30 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Larry Sanger wrote:
>

>> The main reason for
>>this is simply that that isn't what the many good people who signed up for
>>the Nupedia project signed up for; they'd be furious if I tried to hijack
>>their project that way, even if it's a project that isn't currently going
>>anywhere.
>>

>I'm considering a mass email to ask them what they want to do.  I
>think it's perfectly reasonable for us to offer to setup software for
>them to start reviewing and approving articles from Wikipedia.  I
>can't imagine why they'd be furious about it.

The important thing is that we don't *replace* Nupedia with that new
project, at least not initially. If it turns out that the wikipedia
spin-off boosts, we might think again, in a year or so.

There's another effect we might want to consider. Suppose I want to copy
a wikipedia article to that spin-off, and I will be listed as the one
who did, I'd make pretty sure the article is correct in the first place,
and covers all important points. I'd also like it to be well written.
Now, a good article from wikipedia might lack a few minor things before
I'd consider it ready to be approved. So, the obvoius thing is for me to
edit the wikipedia article and fix these (minor) items before I approve it.
As a result, wikipedia itself will improve from the spin-off.

I think.

I am working on a demo version for a new software. I could have it
running this weekend.

Magnus