[Wikipedia-l] Moderation

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Wed Dec 11 17:57:54 UTC 2002

Actually, from my experience, just having a moderator who weighs in
occasionally keeps the tone a bit higher with no loss of freedom of
expression.  I moderated mailing lists for an addiction group and for
a company and I never had to stop any piece of mail and only had to
ban one contributor (who I now understand to have been trolling).
Every once in awhile, I'd send a piece of mail (I did not otherwise
participate in either list) sort of tooting the lifeguard whistle and
things would calm right down.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88