[Wikipedia-l] Re: Software Assisted Context Resolution (from wikitech-l)

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:20:18 UTC 2003

This is also on wikitech-l, forwarded on to wikipedia-l at Cunctator's
request.

I've already briefly discussed this with Gary on his user talk page. A few
observations:

In his proposal below, Gary does not explicitly deal with what happens when
a previously unambiguous name is given a second meaning. Here's what I
suggest:

* The original page is moved to a disambiguated name. This name is selected
by the user who creates the second page.
* All existing links are updated via the pipe trick to point to the
newly-disambiguated primary article.

Gary's "resolve links" page, in my opinion, could be made easier to use by
making it a list of links, each one followed by a combo box, rather than a
clone of the full article.

As I said on [[User talk:Gaz]], this kind of software disambiguation, if
implemented properly, could satisfy both camps in the city names preemptive
disambiguation debate (see wikiEN-L). Pre-emptive disambiguation would be
(IMHO) unnecessary, and since manual links to [[Perth]] instead of [[Perth,
Australia]] are encouraged, I would see no reason to push primary-topic
disambiguation.

Gary, are you offering to code this?

-- Tim Starling.