[Wikipedia-l] Article count reform

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 13:44:53 UTC 2003

very good questions !

--- Tomos at Wikipedia <wiki_tomos at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Second, I am wondering if some further clarification
> might help.
> Some are not necessary for this time, but
> nevertheless important
> issues for the future multilingual voting. So I list
> them anyway.

Save them ! But there are so many points to clarify
that we could limit ourselves to the current situation
maybe ?

> (1) If we should be a registered user in meta in
> order to vote.

Not necessarily registered in meta (or loggued in).
But it might be interesting to be able to contact the
one who voted. And since there are about 30-40
wikipedias now, it's tough to guess who comes from
where...

> (2) If we should vote in individual language-wiki.

I think we should have the choice to do both. Those
who don't speak english will prefer to do it in their
language. Those who speak english might do it directly
in meta. And some trusted members could transfert
votes from individual wiki to meta. Imposing votes to
be "registered" only in meta would exclude all those
who don't speak english, and this is not the good way.

> (3) How to count votes of those who have multiple
> usernames across multiple languages.
> (4) If we need any weighing of votes by language -
> balancing
> voices from less-populated wikis with populated
> wikis.

You mean indirectly favoring the situation where the
english get "best" when international get "good" ?
(André, both "best" and "good" are positive, while
"crippling" is negative; getting only "good" for the
en, and "best" for the others, does not imply
"crippling" the english wikipedia imho, no ?)

I think that should be considered for each issue
differently.

For the comma issue, given that it was raised "again"
by the japanese and the french (though for very
different reasons - yours is a major reason, ours is
just a distraction), I think it would be *real* wrong
to consider our voices as been half or quarter voices
compared to english ones. Even if it ends up being
only "good" for en, and best for the japanese.

Another point is that in this case, people
(wikipedians) are voting, not the wikipedias
themselves (one or several votes for each of them).
And many of us participate to at least two wikipedias.
So, are we voting thinking of our mother language, or
are we voting for the common good ?

> (5) If we care preventing a username.
> (6) If we need some time to make translations of the
> voting page
> in multiple languages.

Could we have more than 24 hours to translate, both
sides...24 hours in not enough, especially since
wikipedia is stuck most of the time during some
wikipedia up hours.

> Hope this helps,

yes, it was helpful, thanks Tomos