[Wikipedia-l] RE: Various topics - not page count

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Mon Mar 10 20:37:36 UTC 2003

>>>Various topics - not page count (My responses with >>>)

SYSOP:JIM:  But there is a side-effect that isn't good, i.e. the
notion of sysops having special authority over non-sysop users.

>>>I wouldnt worry too much about accusations of "tyrrany" - alot of these
come from the antagonist-anarchisticts.. who operate under their own
assumptions about how the world and everything in it should or shouldnt
work.

SYSOP: ED: (Danny?)I would also oppose giving out random sysop to everyone
who posts here.
 Our most recently banned contributor, Clutch, was also a frequent poster on
this list.
Would that have made him a sysop too?

>>>First of all, I think we need to have summaries written up as 'case
histories' for each user
banned, written NPOV... so LIR's page would not be summed up by Zoe, for
example, or anyone
else who had animosities with.. Second, Clutch got out of hand, But then,
once again so do others.. It was I who in large part suggested taking some
action... and immediately after an edit war with me, he was banned.. I cant
help but think that his political persuasions didnt help him any. His crime
was nothing more than getting frustrated, and using increasingly POV
language in articles...out of frustration with equally POV people.

IE:JIM: Generally, yes, but in terms of the actual details, he could
probably
use some help figuring out exactly what the license requires.  I think
it's sort of complicated.

>>>Not to mention its overall purpose: Does it attract or detract from
Wikipedia?

IE:FRED: Will it fail? I certainly hope it is only a modest success, not
sure I could
afford a big success like Wikipedia.

>>>Maybe.

PWS:JIM:"Segregation" implies a lot, in American English.  It's not a very
friendly word to use in a context like this.

>>>Yeah, I used it.. And I did it not to stir up bees. I noticed there has
been no
answer to my assertion that pressures on Susan, based on accusations of
racism, were misplaced.

IMAGE USE:JIM: This is just wrong.  I strongly encourage people not to
follow this
kind of advice here. What kind of permission is asked?  The only acceptable
permission for
us is quite strong: the image needs to be released under the GNU FDL,
or under some compatible conditions.

>>>Understood.  I guess this just means, WP will  be light on images... a
better safe than
sorry policy then?

SUSAN:TONY:pleaded to have Vera Cruz banned. She was driving me and a whole
stack of other people absolutely crazy.  But Susan Mason is doing OK.
It's still early days and she's looked at that invisible line a couple
of times, but not crossed it.

>>>Very well said. And s a general rule; My degree of pissed doesnt
necessarily
 correlate with their degree of offense.

KANJI:JIM:The argument that people should learn Kanji at a young age is
basically irrelevant in this context, since I've seen your Kanji, I
know what they link to, but I have no idea what the Kanji themselves
are.(1) ..... I for one would not.  If I were writing in the Japanese
wikipedia, I
would write my name in katakana, (2) as a gesture of professionalism,
kindness, and respect. But this is all pretty irrelevant, isn't it? (4.)
Stevertigo is not doing
this to preserve the traditions of his parents, but to be cutesy.

>>>1. accustomization. 2. Well thats you. 3. Its not worth even discussing.
4.) . cutesy? Hmm. I dont think exporing
a 3000 year-old system of ideographs, and sharing this exploration in some
small
way with the community,  however  inconvenient, is "cutesy." As for
heritage,
what human heritage is not mine?