[Wikipedia-l] Death to the comma count!

Takuya Murata takusi at manjiro.net
Mon Mar 10 16:40:08 UTC 2003

---- Original message ----
>Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:31:36 -0800
>From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
>Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Death to the comma count!
>To: wikipedia-l at wikipedia.org
>
>Takuya Murata wrote:
>
>>Only my concern is that we should not make a decision in
the
>>place where people can't participate. Yes, every one can
>>discuss here but only if they speak English. It seems most
>>of wikipedians in ja.wikipedia knows almost nothing about
>>what is going on the administration stage like here or
>>village pump in en.wikipedia.
>>
>>If you are talking about only en.wikipedia (since this
>>mailing list is in English), forgive me about my
>>misunderstanding.
>>
>>My suspecion is that we should stop using universal system
>>for all of editions. Different languages need different
>>coordination. The couting artciels should depend on the
>>language of edition. Therefore, the discussion here should
>>be irrelevant and we should move this to each wikipedia's
>>village pump.
>>
>There are very few rules that should apply across all
language
>Wikipedias.  Perhaps some very serious things like NPOV or
not insulting
>each other, but in most areas I agree with your intent.
>
>At the same time, the much larger number of participants in
the English
>Wikipedia means that more subjects get discussed with a
wider range of
>opinions.

Needless to say, we can't use this as excuse for ignoring
the minority.

>When much later an issue arises in one of the other
languages it would
>be a good idea for somebody to translate a summary of the
English
>discussion with a fair representation of all sides.  After
that there is
>no need to come to the same conclusion as the English
speakers.

I more like United Nations style than that of federal
government and states in the United States. We probably
should reflect the opinion of each edition not convey the
central opinion to each.