[Wikipedia-l] Death to the comma count!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 9 20:31:36 UTC 2003

Takuya Murata wrote:

>Only my concern is that we should not make a decision in the
>place where people can't participate. Yes, every one can
>discuss here but only if they speak English. It seems most
>of wikipedians in ja.wikipedia knows almost nothing about
>what is going on the administration stage like here or
>village pump in en.wikipedia.
>
>If you are talking about only en.wikipedia (since this
>mailing list is in English), forgive me about my
>misunderstanding.
>
>My suspecion is that we should stop using universal system
>for all of editions. Different languages need different
>coordination. The couting artciels should depend on the
>language of edition. Therefore, the discussion here should
>be irrelevant and we should move this to each wikipedia's
>village pump.

There are very few rules that should apply across all language
Wikipedias.  Perhaps some very serious things like NPOV or not insulting
each other, but in most areas I agree with your intent.

At the same time, the much larger number of participants in the English
Wikipedia means that more subjects get discussed with a wider range of
opinions.

When much later an issue arises in one of the other languages it would
be a good idea for somebody to translate a summary of the English
discussion with a fair representation of all sides.  After that there is
no need to come to the same conclusion as the English speakers.

Eclecticology