[Wikipedia-l] Image usage

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Sun Mar 9 10:22:45 UTC 2003

Hallo,

I just found a source for tons of bird images on
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/birds/naumann.htm, and I
am eager to use them. But I am not 100% sure, if I am allowed to use
them.

All images on that site are drawings from a 1905 field guide, and so
they should be public domain. BUT all images were (as they describe on
their page) scanned and reworked with a graphics tool in order to
change contrast, lightness and hue. I don't know, if this makes the
owners of the website new copyright holders.

Of course I tried to contact them, but the e-mail address on that page
is invalid, so there is no contact person.

Can anyone tell me, if I am allowed to use these images?

Mirko.

--
Mirko Thiessen
http://www.mirko-thiessen.de