[Wikipedia-l] HTML tag

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Wed Mar 5 05:45:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

> On Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:01 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> As I recall, the primary argument against anchors is that they support
> and encourage long pages.

I fully disagree this argument !
Long pages is an arranging problem not a feature problem.
If you think a page is too long, then just split it in 2 parts.
I can't understand you private us using a good feature just cause someone
can misuse it.
Any feature can be misused !

> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 20:42, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> Internal anchors were a feature I added and then removed by
> the consensus of the community.  If you can come up with a
> /really good/ example of how an internal anchor will make an
> article better in a way that can't be done without it, and
> won't sacrific simplicity of editing, then I'm certainly
> open to putting the feature back.

Imho, the main way anchor can be useful are :
- Link the summary to the corresponding part of the article. Even if it is
not a "long" article, it can be useful.
- Target a particular paragraph in an other article. Useful for encyclopedia
and especially for talk page.

An other problem is perhaps we all don't have the same idea about what is a
"long" article.

Aoineko (as Guillaume)