[Wikipedia-l] question about fdl

Lee Daniel Crocker lee at piclab.com
Wed Mar 5 01:32:53 UTC 2003

> (Christopher Mahan <chris_mahan at yahoo.com>):
>
> --- Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll echo the "I don't know"s, and add a complication: pictures and
> > text are a bit different.  Almost all the text in Wikipedia was
> > made
> > collaboratively, and is therefore unquestionably FDL.  But many of
> > the
> > pictures are either public domain or used under "fair use", so
> > using
> > them in another work would have no affect at all on that work.
>
> I'll second the "I don't know" and add that images should be treated
> carefully, becaue when someone gets images from someone else, while
> that someone else might grant use of the image to W, that same
> someone else may not grant the use of the image for any other
> derivative work that is not part of W. Thus, the someone else needs
> to be asked essentially whether their image is going in the public
> domain, or in the FDL, or for W use only.

If you find such an image on wikipedia (i.e., one for which permission
was granted only to wikipedia), it should probably be replaced if at
all possible by a more freely usable one, either PD, or FDL licensed
itself, or usable under "fair use".

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,