[Wikipedia-l] question about fdl

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Tue Mar 4 14:53:24 UTC 2003

On 3/4/03 9:29 AM, "Matt M." <matt_mcl at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I have a question about the GNU FDL. What is meant by "the work"? If I took
> a picture from Wikipedia and incorporated it into one page on an existing
> website, would just that page, my entire website, or neither (just the
> picture) be released under GNU FDL?

Forgive me if I get semantic here--it's necessary when we're discussing the
specificity of law.

Including the picture doesn't release anything under the GFDL. The correct
question is:

"If I took a picture from Wikipedia and incorporated it into one page on an
existing website, what would I have to release under the GFDL for that
inclusion not to violate Wikipedia's license? Would I need to release that
page, my entire website, or neither (just the picture) under GNU FDL?"

The reality is that my answer to that question is the same as Jimbo's: I
don't know. But I believe releasing just the page would be sufficient.