[Wikipedia-l] The Enlightenment: Cologne Blue mockup article

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 21:02:17 UTC 2002

Brion VIBBER wrote:

> Neil Harris wrote:
>

>> Please let me know if this continues to look clean and nice, and whether
>> something like this would be a good idea as a default skin, as and when
>> it is completely debugged and cleaned-up.
>

> The page overall is clean and legible, great!

Brion,

Thanks for the feedback: I only know what I like, I'm glad you like it too.
Most of the credit for the clean design goes to Marian.

I've enclosed a new version, with some more tweaks. There is also the
first step at creating a better rendition of the quickbar menu for
non-CSS browsers, involving two different renderings with and without
CSS, using hidden stuff that will only pop up for non-CSS browsers.

I've also
* given a muted purple colour to visited internal/external links, but
not for menu links.
* made a contrasting colour for external links
* lots of little tweaks to layout and fonts

See the enclosed page for details.

> However, my comments on the sidebar still stand; "Page options" and
> "My options" are going to vanish off the bottom of my screen, which is
> something I find frustrating in the current layout.

Yes, vertical space is a problem. I've restored the idea of a user menu
at the top as a first step, pending a solution of the larger problem.

> Still missing "Watch page" and "Talk page" links (on the current CB
> these are under 'Page options'); also there needs to be a place to put
> "Move page", "Delete page", and "Protect page" for trusted
> hands/sysops (currently in Edit).

Yes, I've not forgotten them: they are just not there at the moment.

> Also, one tiny style suggestion: I'd put the gray section headers in
> the sidebar ('Find', 'Browse', etc) in sans-serif font to match the
> gray sans-serif article title.

Done.