[Wikipedia-l] non-logged in users using upload utility

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Thu Jul 25 18:30:44 UTC 2002

then LDC wrote:
>There's two issues there: as for upload privileges, those in favor
>of restricting them to logged in users make a good case, so I'll make
>that happen soon.
>
>The second issue is should the Wikis share uploads.  I'm of the
There is a third issue, which we saw in spades on the Phase II software: once someone is logged in, we will no longer see that person's IP and therefore will have no way to block that person--and there will most certainly be people who log in solely to upload files that should not be uploaded, and who will deserve to be blocked.

This problem could be solved by reinstating the UseModWiki feature of revealing the IP of someone who is logged in simply by hovering the mouse over the username.  It worked quite well, even on my dynamic IP--each time I logged out and back in whatever I did on Recent Changes would reflect the IP I had assigned me when I did it.  I would love to see the feature returned.

cheers,

kq