[Wikipedia-l] [Fwd: [ wikipedia-Bugs-584804 ] URL followed by

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Jul 25 08:54:13 UTC 2002

>| I agree, but I'd also add semicolon and colon characters
>| to that list.

>...and single, double quotation marks, parentheses, and dashes.

Double quotes aren't legal in URLs, so they're not an issue.
But single quotes and hyphens are very common and I think it
would be a very bad idea not to treat those as URL chars in all
cases.  I'm even bothered a little bit by question marks and
exclamation points, but there is a workaround
([http://x.com/y? http://x.com/y?]), so I think it will be OK.
I think colon and semicolon would be OK as well.