[Wikipedia-l] Creating redirects for spelling mistakes

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sat Jul 20 13:49:57 UTC 2002

At 10:53 AM 7/20/02 +0100, tarquin wrote:
>Should we really be setting up redirect pages for every mis-spelling we
>see in Unsuccessful Searches, eg Idendity
><http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Idendity>, Colombus
><http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Colombus> etc.
>
>I'm inclined to say Wikipedia Is Not a Spellchecker.

Well being a serious misspeller I am one of the offenders here. The way it
goes is you first misspell the link then you write a long article on the
misspelled page, then discover an article spelled right, or finally
discover the misspelling, see where I'm going...

Really need to delete the misspelled page but having saved it you end up
redirecting it.

Other than the really common misspellings or cases like [[color]]
[[colour]] I think all such pages should be deleted.

Fred Bauder