[Wikipedia-l] How do you do the thumbnail link thing?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 08:38:00 UTC 2002

On Saturday 20 July 2002 01:19 am, you wrote:
> I'm not a big fan of thumbnails, personally, unless they're on a page with
> a lot of images--which most of our pages won't be.  I prefer to have an
> image 300-400 pixel across its widest dimension in the article, which IMO
> can usually be small enough to load quickly, give a sense of detail, and
> not distract too much from the article itself.
>
> kq

Just remember that a very large chunk of people visiting wikipedia have
browser windows of about 750 pixels wide (or less). This doesn't leave much
room for the sidebar, image and text when the displayed image is 400 pixels
wide. Although this isn't an issue for images that stand alone in the text,
it is an issue when an image has text flowing around it. When that is the
case, I aim to have the image no more than 250 pixels wide (otherwise half
the image dominates the text flowing around it for those with 800 x 600
screen resolutions). Just something to consider when sizing images.

--maveric149