[Wikipedia-l] Another copyright question

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 02:40:29 UTC 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 04:31 pm, Eclecticology wrote:
> Rewriting the material in
> your own words instead of translating it would not be a breach of
> copyright.

I sure hope so -- I've been rewriting Los Alamos National Laboratory text for
the elements articles to circumvent their stupid copyright notice. Their
copyright notice states that material produced by them and displayed on their
website can only be used for non-commercial purposes and only if their
copyright notice is displayed on any copies. This agers me because everything
they do is mostly paid for by US federal tax dollars with much of the
remaining money comming from California state tax dollars via the UC Regents
(although CA state produced IP is /not/ in the public domain unless there is
an explicit statement to the fact -- which also angers me).

However, much of what LANL provides in their periodic table needs heavy
copyediting anyway, so I really don't care that much about having to take an
extra step or two (at least then the resulting wikipedia articles will be
that much more unique -- although rewriting is time consuming and has slowed
the conversion process).

--maveric149