[Wikipedia-l] This Español/Castellano split

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 21:23:42 UTC 2002

Hello Daniel

You should go to the international mailing list (or
register for that matter). I think there are many
comments that should lighten the matter to you. Both
on the spanish fork and about the french "threat". It
will probably answer some of your questions.

--- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that in addition to the

> interwiki links anyway?). This Español/Castellano
> split makes about as much sense as having separate
> American English and British English wikipedias
> would.

I don't agree at all with you on this point.
Even with a z and s matter, you speak the same
language and understand each other. The fork had
apparently nothing to do with a castillan and spanish
language. The fork seemed to come from a scare upon
"english imperialism". Each time I'm on the english
wiki, I feel somehow unconfortable. First because it's
not easy to get when people are serious or joking,
second because there are many points you don't get
easily, third because you don't always succeed to
polish your own comments as you would do in your
language. I am sure you could understand what I mean
here. And believe me, it's easy for a non english
speaking to feel pushed.

As Brion (?) and others stated it, many of us don't
understand english well enough to wander on the meta
for example. Even after 10 years learning english.

> and something about the fact that Wikipedia is at a
> “dotcom” address. Then they go on to state, again as
> fact, that the English wikipedia has an “elite with
> administrator privileges” who “harasses
> contributors”
> and “censure content” and “prohibit editing of
> certain
> pages”. Yikes! Do we deserve this?

btw, none of us on the french wiki has any admin
privilege. Well, we have to take the time to ask
Jimbo. That doesnot seem essential right now, but
that's a fact :-) But, as far as I know, we have
freedom on all our pages. Thanksfully.

Does it trouble you not it is a .dotcom ??? It
troubles some of us.

I know some of us seem to consider forking later on a
sort of natural occurrence. Others do not...

As for updating the software, we will finish the
mainpage translation this we hopefully (probably as we
reach 1000 articles, I am very happy about that).
After that, it all relies on others to do the update.
Who is taking care of that ?