[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] TTH: the TEX to HTML translator

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Sat Jul 6 00:56:45 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

>>Also see this (but it's commercial, except for limited
>>exceptions, and there's no source).
>>Available in HTML and MathML versions.
>>http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/index.html
>>

>There was lots of discussion about that too (there's a
>Wikipedia page for it--check it out), but that's not an
>acceptable option because it requires Windows-only fonts.
>0

Here's a nasty idea: use big PNGs, resized downwards to fit, for the
awkward characters (like square root and integral),
and use standard HTML tables, entities, etc, for the rest. It's not
quite as daft as it seems: only a few big PNGs would be needed, and they
would be cached by browsers.

Probably only worth considering to reject it, though: making it work
right on every browser and font set would be a nightmare, and I still
like the MathML / image combo best.

Neil