[Wikipedia-l] RE: 130.94.122.197

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 4 21:53:56 UTC 2002

On Thursday 04 July 2002 12:01 pm, Toby Bartels wrote:
> There were many changes that I like, but several that were bad.
> Listing the latter in order of decreasing importance:
>
> <What links here> no longer indicates what links through redirects.
> I think that this is a significant loss of function.

I agree -- I in fact submitted a bug report on this but it was rejected. The
current 'pedia wikiware lists articles linked through redirects in a separate
section and each item linked that way has "(via [[{redirect's name}]])" right
next to it. I'm pretty sure Brion is the one who did this and he was prompted
to do so by a feature request I made so that articles like [[Sutter's Fort]]
wouldn't be counted as orphans just because it is only linked to other
articles by [[Sutters Fort]].

I can understand if this feature was dropped for fat-cutting reasons in order
to improve performance, but I have not received an indication that this is
the reason. If the reason was to improve performance, then maybe list
redirects to an article separately under a heading like "Pages that redirect
here" (a good idea either way). Then maybe also have a link next to each of
these redirects to "Pages that link to {redirect's name}".

--maveric149