[Wikipedia-l] Some thoughts

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Feb 11 17:24:38 UTC 2002

Magnus wrote:
> * Creating half a dozen redirects to a single topic. A recent
> example of this might be the "ArXiv.org e-print archive", for which
> "Xxx.lanl.gov", "Www.arXiv.org", "ArXiv.org", and "ArXiv" redirects
> were created. There's no need to do this if the redirected titles
> aren't very common and mentioned in

Links to redirect pages are evil, because they are not found by the
"Pages that link here" function of the new software (or are they?).
But the user has no easy way of knowing whether he links to a redirect
page or a real page.  When the user saves a page, the software already
checks if each link goes to an existing or non-existing page,
resulting in an underlined or ?-link, respectively, and it could just
as well check if the link goes to a redirect page, and display such
links in a third way, perhaps underlined in green color.

I sometimes take my favorite year-in-review and open the "Pages that
link here" in another window and edit the page in the main window.
This function is really useful.

--
  Lars Aronsson
  <lars at aronsson.se>