[WikiEN-l] Re: Things that bother me

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Jan 21 04:56:15 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>One of the things that Eric pointed out to me is that thinking of
>voting as a simple "majority rules" (i.e. 50% plus 1) is too
>simplistic.  I _totally_ agree that 50% plus 1 would be a horrible
>rule, and likely to end up being a tool to close out minority voices.
>
>But there are other forms of voting (Condorcet's method, approval
>voting, etc.) that don't suffer from all the same defects.

No, but they suffer from other defects. In 1952, Kenneth Arrow, a
professor emeritus of economics at Stanford University, proved this
using an "impossibility" theorem which showed that no voting system
is completely free from counterintuitive incomes. Arrow looked at
voting systems that satisfy two harmless- sounding properties. First,
if everyone prefers candidate A to candidate B, then A should be
ranked higher than B. Second, voters' opinions about candidate C
shouldn't affect whether A beats B--after all, if you prefer coffee
to tea, finding out that hot chocolate is available shouldn't
suddenly make you prefer tea to coffee. These sound like reasonable
restrictions, yet Arrow proved that the only voting system that
always satisfies them is a dictatorship, where a single person's
preferences determine the outcome. But this doesn't mean that a
dictatorship produces an optimum result either, because dictatorship
violates the democratic principle that government should be based on
the consent of the governed. In short, perfect democracy is
"impossible."

While there is no system that works perfectly, the *ideal* of
democracy still has value and is something that can be approximated.

>I'm a big fan of the notion of a constitutional republic.  Majority
>rule is morally repugnant.  But some form of consensus voting, with
>the protection of a "constitution" or "bill of rights" for all
>wikipedians, rights that can't be taken away without some
>super-extraordinary voting procedure, will probably be the way to go,
>someday.

I disagree with the notion that majority rule is morally repugnant,
but the concept of "democracy" doesn't really fit that well with
Wikipedia anyway. If we were serious about "majority rule" for
Wikipedia, we would need to have some system for ensuring the
inclusion of a representative sample of the population being
"represented," and that would mean, for starters, finding some way to
include people who don't have access to the Internet (currently 90%
of the world's population). Obviously, there aren't resources
available to do this.

I think Wikipedia currently functions quite well, despite never
having bothered to develop a philosophy of governance. If we want to
find a word that describes how it actually operates, take a look at
the concept of "demarchy" coined by coined by Australian philosopher
John Burnheim. The only difference is that Burnheim imagined that
"policy juries" would be selected at random. With Wikipedia, the
"juries" that deliberate about each article are self-selected, not
random.

If you want to read a little more about "demarchy," I added an entry
on it to the Wikipedia. I was hoping I'd be able to make it the
100,000th article, but I missed and landed on 100,005 instead. Oh
well...it's still time for champagne, folks!
--